What to Do in Cherokee North Carolina
Looking for fun things to do in Cherokee, NC? Come explore trails of legends and adventure in Cherokee, a place of great beauty nestled in the heart of the Great Smoky Mountains. In Cherokee you can enjoy the breathtaking scenic views, family attractions, outdoor activities, elk watching, waterfalls, shopping, live dealer gaming, relaxing spa treatments, Cherokee Indian art, a rich local history and so much more. The most well known activities in Cherokee include the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Qualla Boundary (the home of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians), 11,000 years of Cherokee history, outdoor sports of all kinds, and Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort.
Everyone, from honeymooning couples to families with young children and retirees, can make long lasting memories in Cherokee. Really the question is not what to do in Cherokee, but what do you have time to do?
Activities in the Great Outdoors
Our beautiful mountains, streams and valleys are your new outdoor playground. There is no end to the list of fun things to do in Cherokee for people who love outdoor sports or just being in nature. We have more than just spectacular mountain views. Hike trails for people of all skill levels, visit swimming holes and waterfalls, fish, mountain bike, kayak, tube, snow ski, rock climb, whitewater raft and play golf. There are even large populations of elk moving throughout the community. Enjoy elk watching, even strolling in town. Many elk sightings have been reported in the town center at the Oconaluftee Islands Park.
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park: in Cherokee, we simply call it our back yard. Explore the rich biodiversity and cultural history of these age-old mountains.
- Enjoy some of the best trout fishing in America on the thirty miles of pristine, freestone streams that run through the Qualla Boundary in Cherokee.
- Sequoyah National Golf Club: play a challenging 18-hole round of golf on this magnificent course, complete with breathtaking mountain views.
- Blue Ridge Parkway: bike, hike, fish, or simply enjoy the breathtaking view just off the Parkway at Cherokee.
- Mingo Falls: take the short, steep hike to see this gorgeous 200 ft. waterfall, on the Qualla Boundary. A visit to Mingo Falls is always one of the most popular suggestions for what to do in Cherokee NC.
Cultural Things to Do in Cherokee
Learn about the history and culture of the Cherokee people and their amazing story. There are interesting things to do in the region that are fun and educational.
- Oconaluftee Indian Village: take a trip in a time machine and transport yourself back to a recreated village from 1760.
- Qualla Arts and Crafts Mutual, Inc.: see authentic Cherokee arts and crafts as they’re created: bead working, pottery, stone carving, wood carving, basketry, finger weaving and more.
- Museum of the Cherokee Indian: learn about the fascinating heritage, history and culture of the Cherokees.
- "Unto These Hills": one of the most popular things to do in Cherokee is still one of the most amazing. The Mountainside Theatre production is now one of the longest running outdoor dramas in the U.S. You’ll be moved and transported back in time as you watch the story of the Cherokees unfold before your eyes.
If you are the type of person who wants to kick back and relax on vacation, then you are guaranteed to fall in love with Cherokee. The Mandara Spa at Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort is a 15,000-square-foot oasis promising unadulterated relaxation and pampering. Enjoy a full menu of face and body treatments that will rejuvenate your body and soul. For an even slower pace, relax on the porch of one of Cherokee’s great cabin or cottage rentals. Gaze at the mountains as you sip your morning coffee, bird watch during the afternoon, and count shooting stars at night. All of these suggestions for what to do in Cherokee NC are family friendly, and there are many more great attractions that are enjoyable for all ages. Contact the Cherokee Chamber of Commerce for great suggestions of other fun things to do in Cherokee.